My children’s media research focuses on the theory and analysis of literature, film and theatre for children and young adults, with a particular focus on intermedial and transmedial strategies of storytelling in contemporary digital culture.
Children’s Film Analysis
I have co-authored the German-language introduction Kinder- und Jugendfilmanalyse, written together with Tobias Kurwinkel. It is the first comprehensive introduction to the analysis of children’s film and is considered one of the standard textbooks in academicchildren’s film seminars.
I also have co-founded KinderundJugendmedien.de, an interdisciplinary internet portal devoted to research, news and reviews on children’s media such as literature, film, and picture books. I currently serve as the website’s editor-in-chief.
Kinder- und Jugendliteratur Intermedial
Tobias Kurwinkel, Annika Sevi and I are the co-founders and co-editors of the book series “Kinder- und Jugendliteratur Intermedial”. The volumes focus on various aspects of the intermediality of children’s literature, with a special emphasis on film. All books are published with the publishing house Königshausen & Neumann. As of 2016, four volumes have been published, two more are in preparation.
- Contemporary storytelling for children and young Adults
- Storytelling across media (transmediality, intermediality)
- German-language children’s literature
- Children’s theatre
- Children’s film and family entertainment film
- Methods of children’s film analysis
- Authors: Roald Dahl, Michael Ende, Astrid Lindgren, Otfried Preußler
- Philosophy in children’s literature
- Disability in children’s literature and other media